We recently contributed to Share Collective, the client-only newsletter for our accountants, AJ Fleet & Co. We thought it sharing these web design tips with everyone!
Websites are (or should be) an essential marketing tool for every single business. Their importance have become event more relevant since the start of the pandemic as more and more of us turn to the Internet.
Before we start working with a new client, the first thing we want to understand is what success looks like them, and part of that process is getting an understanding of how they are going to invest in their website once it’s complete.
One of the biggest disappointments I see is when a client has built a new website, made a huge fuss about the launch and then three, six, or nine months later – there’s not been a single post since they announced their Christmas opening hours for the year before. What a waste!!
With that in mind, here’s seven reasons and tips on how to make your website a success.
- You’ll agree that Google is important for finding your business – right? Well, Google LOVES websites that are updated frequently – so make sure you upload your blog at least once a month – twice if you can so that Google knows your website is actively being updated.
- Do you post lots on social media? Make sure you link back to relevant pages and blog posts on your website when you do as it will generate more inbound traffic and give people the opportunity to find out more about what you do.
- One thing I will never (ever) do for a customer is set up automated social media posts on Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook. These three social networks are an important part of your marketing toolkit but you must curate your messages for each of these platforms with the type of audience each brings. Don’t forget that your hashtags on Twitter aren’t going to be as important as they are on Facebook… and on Twitter you are limited in how many characters you can use. Take time to understand how to use them to be affect.
- Does your website run on WordPress? If you aren’t confident updating your website to make it attractive to search engines, make sure you install the Yoast SEO plugin. It is totally free and will give you guidance on what you can do to make your website as visible as possible.
- They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so if you are going to create a blog, add some photos; if you have the confidence to do video, even better! Sites like Pixabay have lots of great free photos that you can choose from and they will help your posts on social media stand out even more.
- Talking of video – don’t forget that YouTube is the second largest search engine out there, so if you did a 30 second intro video to your blog post, you could be opening yourself up to a whole new audience who want to engage with more than just text and images.
- Finally make sure you have Google Analytics on your website; it’s crazy how people build websites without putting this free tool on your site. It will tell you so much about which of your marketing efforts are really working for you. In fact head over to http://www.gachecker.com and if your site doesn’t have it installed, we’ll do it for you free of charge.
You may also be interested in: eCommerce Trends In 2018: What The Experts Think